Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Saturday, June 30, 2007

ONLY ROAD NORTH - REVIEW

When I first heard this story was being published for a book, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Now after finishing this 300-page book I am totally enamored to find out more about this guy's journey.

The book, written by Erik Mirandette, is the story of four guys who travel 9,000 miles on dirt bikes starting in South Africa and finally make their way to their destination in Cairo, Egypt.

Through out the entire read it is filled with absolutely captivating stories of the beauty that Africa has to offer as well as the harsh reality that comes with living in one of the toughest regions in the world.

One day they are playing with children in a remote village then only a few days later they are dealing with soldiers carrying AK-47's through a market place. Seriously, some of their stories are unbelievable. There are a few pages here and there that are kind of "dry" but overall the stories keep this book flowing at a good pace.

The ending of the story is sad in many ways when the group becomes a victim of a terrorist nail bomb in Cairo. Erik's brother, Alex, dies in the bombing and the ensuing struggles that Erik details in the book is so real and so raw it captivated me at a level that few stories have.

This book inspires too. As I was reading the stories about the families in some of these villages they were staying in; well, words can't describe how I felt. I just wanted to do something for these people who are living in sub-human conditions.

Without a doubt this book is a must read. It is for those who struggle with their faith as well as for people who have a heart to help those living in extreme poverty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home