Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Monday, March 06, 2006

LUST

So, I think my church is doing a series called "Pure Sex" right now. I'm not really sure but, hold on, yep we are currently doing a series about sex.

Yesterday was the second of the five part series with the topic, "The Language of Lust" ... So yeah here it goes. This is a topic that I know I have always struggled with. At the risk of stereotyping all males, I am a guy for goodness sakes. Women are great.

I remember way back to my sophomore year in high school when my youth pastor told me that for 30 days I should memorize a verse each day and anytime I think lustfully then just say the verse over-and-over in my head. Kind of corny but, hey it worked!!

As Rob Wenger was unpacking this message on Sunday I kept thinking back to some of my various encounters with guys and the infamous line of guys who are constantly lusting, "I can look at the menu but I don't have to order from it." I especially get fired up when a married individual says that! You are freakin married and you have a child!!

Rob said this great quote during the sermon that resonated with me, "Giving into lust robs us of real love." You know that sums it up so well. Do you want real love or "fake love" is the question. For me, I'll take the real thing thank you very much.

So what do I do now? The verse thing still works well but really I just don't look at all. There's something better to look at like a book, the bible, a rack of Yankees jerseys (oh wait, sorry) or just whatever. You know that whole Matthew 5:29-30 thing about gouging your eye out.

I'm looking to keep both my eyes til the day I meet my maker.

3 Comments:

  • Does not compute.

    By Blogger Winston Cash, at 2:03 PM  

  • Hey, I need you to call me. I have an idea....a "double dip" ministry event.

    By Blogger Corey Mann, at 5:52 AM  

  • I must say Rob's sermon was amazing this weekend. He told it like it is and yet did it with love. Gotta love a church that will talk about sex instead of avoid it like a plague.

    By Blogger Jeanna, at 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home