Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Saturday, March 29, 2008

PRAYER & VOLKSWAGEN MAINTANCE

About a month ago now I finished Donald Miller's first book - "Prayer and the Art of Volkswagen Maintenance." It was written in the late 90's and re-released as "Through Painted Desert" in 2003/2004 (sometime around then).

I had a really hard time putting this book down. The book chronicles the road trip that Miller and his friend took from Texas to Oregon. The story of their journey makes the book worth the read let along all the thoughts that Miller has.

There were numerous questions that were raised in my head during the read, here's a sampling of those questions:

“The people I used to be surrounded by are getting along fine without me. Somehow, that really bugs me … What if the feeling of freedom I felt last night turns to boredom? Maybe the thing that I am trying to escape is that which sustains me.” - Miller. Right as they left Texas and started the road trip.

It is not sure much the aim of the devil to lure me with evil but to preoccupy me with meaninglessness.

Why did Jesus come when He did? Why not sooner? Later?

How mysterious am I, really? How great must God be to understand that?

Do I create drama just to “feel” important or good about myself?

What am I doing to pursue Kingdom advancement? Am I doing anything at all?

What is up with “worship” these days? Miller calls it microwavable in a nice little package. It should be something that sweats from our pores everyday.

We (Christians) seem to understand how to “do church” but how much of our energies is devoted to understand and loving God? Is the “institution” more appealing than loving God? It might be just be because it is easier to “do church” than understand a complex God.

How is it that I am trying to look impressive by reading and understanding rather reading and understanding for only God to see? Why do I try to impress those on earth rather than pursue God passionately? Do I need the knowledge only without the relationship with God? Seems to be the wrong pursuit.

How simple have I made my life so that possessions aren’t as important as knowing God? Stuff is just stuff after all and it goes away.

Has the current church (i.e. the institution) become over reliant on cooperate America? We rely on billboards, radio, TV, etc. rather than good old fashion word of mouth discipleship.

What are all of my accomplishments worth … really?

How does it look when I try to dance with God? Sloppy, toes hurting, close or distant, grateful, painful …

Two joys – ignorance based and truth based?

What is it I find identity in between what do I encompass myself within?

Ever look at the stars and wonder which star is yours? God did tell Abraham his descendants would number the stars.

What extra weight am I carrying? Like carrying a refrigerator on a camping trip through the trails.

Is everything “out there” really a Christian analogy?

What is the cereal in my life that I should be desiring? You know the basic needs of life. Not cars, money, worth but just the simple/basic things that truly sustain life.

Is Sunday church like a coaches pep talk before the game? I have the plan and energy but I don’t execute it. You know?

What has the biggest influence on my thoughts and emotions? Do I give the “right” answers just because it is the proper thing to do? You know just going through the motions type stuff.

When I have a burst of energy and the adrenaline is really flowing b/c of something and good and positive what is my first action/instinct? Pray, do nothing, tell another person?

Though good and bad am I really noticing how God’s fingerprints are all around in and what’s happening in my life? What, if anything, would I do differently if I paid more attention to those fingerprints?

How do you reflect on the past and really look to see how and why God created and shaped those moments?

Ever think of stars as holes in the sky and those holes shine God’s brilliance?

Do Christians want to feel special just because they are Christians? And that “special” nature killing (or hurting) God’s advancement?

How many days do I wake-up trying to see and hear God better?

Do I try to be “Godly” for the recognition and to feel better about myself?

Am I seeking relationship or serving law?

Is my religion more important than “the” relationship? When did a “formula” become more important? Easy answers are what God intends. That’s poppy cock religion/formula.

If you truly search for God, you will find Him just through the process of elimination. It is, after all, what Solomon did in Eccl. Because God will remove all distractions.

Why is it you pursue the girl who wants little or nothing to do with you?

God is always reaching out for us. What is distracting us from reaching back?

What’s more of a miracle – healing the blind or the sunrise? Maybe both are miracles because God is all around.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home