Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

SKID ROW THANKSGIVING

Before leaving South Bend I was asked on numerous occasions what I was looking forward to the most about living in L.A. The obvious answers came to mind – the weather, the Dodgers, Mosaic and the general beauty of living in southern California. However, one of the things that I was really looking to was helping along Skid Row during the Thanksgiving holiday.

This Saturday I arrived bright and early at 5:45 a.m. between 5th and 6th street along San Pedro Ave. to help transform an entire block of a city street. It was absolutely awesome to go from nothing to a whole lot of “something” in less than two hours. Tables, chairs, tents, kids games, etc. was all ready to go.

Somewhere around 9:15 a.m. I began making cherry flavored popcorn in the “carnival area” before being moved two stands down to the sno-cone area. I have never seen so much shaved ice in my entire life!

There were so many cool sights and sounds that I took in but what I remember most of all were all the smiles. I can honestly say I didn’t see one person having a bad experience. Now how to make that happen all 365 days of the year is the challenge but for at least one day it was good. You got to start somewhere, right?

Personally the day represented one of those turning point moments in life. While many of my autumn Saturdays have been filled with Notre Dame football for the past few years, a new chapter of sorts has thankfully begun. I miss being a part of Notre Dame football. That experience was something I will never forget. But to lose one thing and to gain this opportunity is extraordinary.

I am already looking forward to next Thanksgiving (not to mention all the other serving opportunities ahead of me). Saturday provided an opportunity to make new unforgettable memories but more importantly impact those who needed a smile probably more than anyone else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home