Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Friday, January 09, 2009

TO CARE OR NOT?!?

What does the intersection of truly caring about people without being hyper-sensitive about your make-up look like?

Does that question make any sense? Maybe I just phrased it wrong. Let’s try this again:

One on my resolutions for the New Year (and for the rest of my life for that matter) is to truly give more than I take. I have concluded that this is quite an undertaking in today’s current culture. However today’s current culture is not an excuse for not trying to give more than you take. There seems to be this really tough inside conflict that is happening.

In trying to help and care for others first, there seems to be this sense of “thinner skin” being developed within me. It’s kind of like the more empathy I feel for some one the more I let my personal guard down. Thus creating a little more personal sensitivity than I can ever recall having. Maybe I’m being too over analytical.

Part of the problem is trying to meet everyone’s needs. That’s a some what obvious statement when trying to look out for others above yourself. Yet, with that being said, maybe there is a more correct way in trying to understand were an individual is coming from in helping solve whatever problem they have.

So I guess the question is – after a few meandering thoughts – what does truly caring for a person(s) look like without having to sacrifice your own self-confidence? What does truly caring for a person(s) look like without losing your ability to be “thick” skinned?

I completely understand and agree with the thick skin principal: If someone you trust and really “speaks into your life” tells you something about yourself and it is true, then act appropriately to make the necessary changes/adjustments. On the flip side, however, if someone who is “Joe Shmoe” says something about you then don’t read into more than you should. Pretty much just take it as a grain of salt whether good or bad.

With all that being said, anybody out there with any thoughts? Just curious …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home