Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Thursday, March 12, 2009

NO LINE ON THE HORIZON

For the past two weeks I have gone back-and-forth on the latest and greatest u2 album. I know that I like it and would recommend it to anyone interested in buying it. The back-and-forth comes into play with the idea of how much I like it. Was it just good? Great? Excellent?

Rolling Stones gave it a rare five-star review while Time Magazine called the album “confused” among other adjectives. My particular favorite review came from the Chicago Sun-Times which called the album “true gospel.”

The album is definitely a change in mood from their last two albums, but like any great band (yes, U2 is a GREAT band) you must re-invent yourself from time-to-time. Old and stale are not two words that I would use to describe this bands musical sense. This album may not have as much of a “hard rock” edge recent releases but the lyrics are extremely well thought out and borderline phenomenal.

The more I listened the more the lyrics really drew me into a very thought provoking mood. The bass lines, guitar riffs, drum beats are all really solid but the lyrics, more than any album since Achtung Baby, are the heartbeat of this album.

Take for example Magnificent:

Magnificent
Magnificent

I was born
I was born to be with you

In this space and time
After that and ever after I haven't had a clue
Only to break rhyme
This foolishness can leave a heart black and blue

Only love, only love can leave such a mark
But only love, only love can heal such a scar

I was born
I was born to sing for you
I didn’t have a choice but to lift you up
And sing whatever song you wanted me to
I give you back my voice

From the womb my first cry, it was a joyful noise…

Only love, only love can leave such a mark
But only love, only love can heal such a scar

Justified till we die, you and I will magnify
The Magnificent
Magnificent

Only love, only love can leave such a mark
But only love, only love unites our hearts

Justified till we die, you and I will magnify
The Magnificent
Magnificent
Magnificent

Want to take a guess about what Bono was thinking about when he wrote that song? It only takes one guess. Or how about this little snipet from Stand Up Comedy:

God is love
And love is evolution's very best day


You get the picture at this point. The lyrical nature of this album is fantastic from song number one till the final song.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home