Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

7-1-4

Anyday now Barry Bonds is going to swing at a pitch and the ball will land for a home run and everything that I love about the game of baseball will feel some what tainted.

I am certainly more disappointed then most baseball fans because the next home run Bonds hit will tie him with one my favorite players, Babe Ruth. Bonds doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the Babe, let alone pass him for second place on the all-time home run list. In the 1920's the game of baseball was in utter chaos and Ruth bursts onto the scene and helped make the game great.

Bonds is a cheater and he makes the game that I love so much less than what it should be. I can't watch him play and think of him as anything else than a cheater. I love when people work hard for what they have attained and achieve a certain blue collar level of accomplishment. Bonds is anything but blue color.

He could have been a great player without pumping himself full of steroids but Bonds let his ego get in the way. The Giants slugger might be able to hit massive 500-foot homers but it just all feels fake because he didn't earn it in my opinion. Bonds is in denial too. If he actually came out and admitted steroid use, it wouldn't make it all better but at least you would have a shred of authenticity.

Bonds has never been and will never be as good a player as the Babe. He may pass him on the home run list but you can be an "*" next to that number.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home