Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Friday, August 25, 2006

MOTIVE

Matthew 6:1 -- "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

Roughly 2000 years ago Jesus said those words. Pretty powerful stuff.

It got me to thinking a lot of what I just experienced this summer and in particular one conversation I had one evening about serving others. I made the statement that any type of service that is done for the proper and right reasons is a good thing. The point being that God has this really amazing way of using our gifts of service when are motives are truly pure.

Certainly God can use any type of service for the good but when we as servants of Christ truly serve for self-less reason. Really some amazing and unspeakable things can (and will) happen. I love to help people and throughly enjoy serving those who can not help themselves.

The question really is - who gets the glory and honor we I (and we) serve? Is the motive self-less or selfish?

"We would frequently be ashamed of our good deeds if people saw all of the motives that produced them."
-Francois de La Rochefoucauld

1 Comments:

  • I totally agree with this post. If we serve to give God the Glory then we are rewarded in such ways that it is unbelieveable. We're to live to bring God Glory. Self glory is not an option. I've seen what it does to people only dong self glory. It destroys them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home