Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

HEY, THAT'S MY UNCLE!

He is about as warm and friendly as a snake looking for lunch but, Bob Knight is now the winningest men's college basketball coach ever.


I have this odd story about Bob Knight -- He and my Uncle Lenny look very much alike (but I guarantee that my uncle is much more friendly) and years ago when Bob Knight threw a chair across the floor in protest of a referees call (see video), I remember thinking to myself as a seven year-old, "why did uncle Lenny just throw a chair across the floor" ... Fortunately for me at the next family function I found out it was not my uncle throwing the chair. None the less, they still look some what similar (at least to a seven year-old).


Anyway ... He is pretty much the New York Yankees, Notre Dame football or Duke basketball of coaching, you either love him or hate him. For whatever reason I like Bob Knight.


Are his methods odd and strange? Yes, they are but the guy teaches his players more than just the game of basketball. In an era were most people complain about over discipline, at least one person isn't afraid to teach it. Yes he does go over the top with some of his methods but his players seem to be learning and that should be applauded.


Overly stubborn? Yes. Teacher? Yes. Bully? At times. He is the greatest coach of all-time? Probably not but at least for now he is the winningest.


So congratulations uncle L---- ... I mean ... Bob Knight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home