Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

PRAYER

A famous theologian once, essentially, said that "if someone is really prideful about their walk with God ask them how their prayer life is and that will make them humble again."

A few weeks ago I finished Philip Yancey's "Prayer" and I was so enamored with this book I decided to transcript every portion of the book that I highlighted. Thus far I have 16 pages of notes and I'm almost done with my "cliff notes" from this book.

It's a heavier read at times but it is such a brilliantly written book. Certainly there is no shock that Yancey would write something so good but for some reason I felt myself resonating with this book over-and-over during its 331 pages of content. Because like most my "prayer life" is like a rollar coaster and the passengers on the ride are getting quite sick.

Over and over the book continues to emphasis that the point of prayer isn't about getting requests answered but rather building a relationship with God. Like any good relationship, you can improve on it unless you communicate and prayer is how an individual can build their relationship with God.

Not mind blowing I know but just a reminder because so often we pray about our needs, desires and wants rather than asking, "God, how can I help advance your kingdom?" To often we hear things like "please fix my broken car" or "find me a better job" or "why can't I find a special someone." While these prayers aren't necesarilly bad the selfish focus is bad and will probably hinder your relationships with God.

I would highly recommend this book (or maybe even my cliff notes version) even if you think you already have a good prayer life. Because, quite frankly, it can always get better.

1 Comments:

  • http://picasaweb.google.com/ryan3120k/06June/photo#5077945680925777394

    By Blogger Ryan, at 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home