Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Thursday, September 06, 2007

KITE RUNNER

What a wonderful book!

I normally struggle with reading fiction because I don't see how a made-up story could effect the way I live and think. Actually, I bought this book thinking it was a true story and got frustrated when I found out it wasn't after I read it.

Fortunately for me I read this amazing book despite the fact it is a fictitious account of what is happening in Afghanistan. It follows the life of Amir from his life as a child to his days as an adult. The roller coast of emotions that he encounters - some of which are brought on by his own doing - have you hooked from the very beginning.

To me it is the brilliant story of how everyone in humanity wrestles with all the really hard emotions that we encounter on a regular basis. Add into that mix the Taliban and it makes for an unforgettable read. While it may be listed as fiction it felt like a very real account of what it is like to live in modern day Afghanistan

The books is very graphic through out and even violent which drew out in me emotions that I have never felt while reading a book.

The only frustration I had, and it is a very small one at that, is that I had trouble following the geography of the areas he was describing. I wish I'd kept a map with me while I was reading it.

In early November the movie version hits the theaters - see trailer. (Be Warned! -- there is a spoiler or two in the trailer)

1 Comments:

  • The movie does look like it could be good.

    So how has visiting India affected the way you looked at the book?

    Better yet how has your thoughts of India changed a month after?

    I am still learning things here and loving it, I can not imagin only spending 5 days in India.

    By Blogger Ryan, at 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home