Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Monday, October 22, 2007

SPRINGSTEEN IN CONCERT

As Jon Stewart so eloquently said after seeing Bruce Springsteen's show in New York last week:

"Do you like joy? Are you a fan of joy? Then go see Bruce Springsteen."

I just might be the most joy-filled person in the midwest right now after going to my first Springteen concert on Sunday evening at the United Center. I mean, holy flippin' cow ... wow! My expectations for this concert were extremely high and this show was on some level of entertainment ecstasy the best thing I have ever experienced.

The set list was great:

Radio Nowhere
No Surrender
Lonesome Day
Gypsy Biker
Magic
Reason To Believe
Adam Raised A Cain
She's The One
Livin' In The Future
The Promised Land
Your Own Worst Enemy
Backstreets
Cadillac Ranch
Devil's Arcade
The Rising
Last To Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands
__________________
Girls In Their Summer Clothes
Thundercrack
Born To Run
Dancing In The Dark
American Land

What helped to make the experience more exciting was the crowd. There is just something about 20,000 people sharing the same excitement as you are at the same time. The guy I sat next to said it was his 13th show and each of gets better than the last. After the show on Sunday evening, I certainly can't wait to see him again.

As with all concerts I go to there were a couple moments that are worth highlighting:

Radio Nowhere -- Bruce comes out on stage and asks, "Is anyone alive out there"? The tone for the evening was set with the screaming fans and the first few notes from his guitar were played loudly. It was 100% energy for the rest of the night ...

She's the One -- A personal favorite that certainly did not disappoint. Max Weinberg on the drums was awesome.

The Rising -- Probably his best song of the past 10 years and during the song there was something a little extra special going on inside the arena. Call it spiritual or whatever you'd like but there was an extra bit of "something" happening.

Badlands -- Just absolutely stunning and maybe the peak of the show. The crowd singing the lyrics even after Springsteen and the band leaves the stage gave me chills

Thundercrack -- Is it time for Born to Run yet?

Born to Run, Dancing in the Dark, American Land -- The evening probably couldn't have ended on a better note. Hearing Born to Run live was worth the wait. To spend five-minutes of my life pumping my fist and screaming the lyrics as loud as could with thousands of other Springsteen fans was fantastic.

This guy on stage might be the greatest concert going right now and he is 58! He is twice my age and rocks like he is younger than me. Just awesome!!

Chicago Tribune Review - here
Chicago Sun Times Review - here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home