Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Thursday, November 22, 2007

TURKEY TROT

So most normal people sleep-in, relax or something simple on Thanksgiving morning. As the Nike running ads once said, "Runners are different" so I enjoyed a nice run on Thursday morning at the Niles/Buchanan YMCA Turkey Trot.


I was rather surprised at the number of people (about 2,000) that came out and ran either the 5K or 10K. It was a nice chilly morning with a few snow flurries. Maybe a little damp from the night before but overall a fairly pleasant morning all things considered.


The course was one of the most non-flat courses I have ever been on. During the first mile there was a fairly good climb and then quick decent. Then another solid climb just past mile three with another quick decent. A roller coaster with legs is how I would describe this course. It did everything but take you upside down. I was hoping for a something less than 46 minutes and never really thought about coming close to my P.R. (44:55) for a 10K.

I don't do a lot of speed work but when I crossed the finish line at 42:10 I finally did something that I have been trying to do in a "longer" race. I finally broke a seven-minute mile barrier! My time came out to an average mile of 6:51. It is a great feeling in taking one more step in being a faster runner on a more consistant basis.

1 Comments:

  • Congratulations, Stephen! Happy Thanksgiving!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home