Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Sunday, January 06, 2008

JUNO

What a creatively brilliant movie.

This movie isn't so much about taking a view on teenage pregnancy as much as it was about how to treat people with grace, respect and kindness. Essentially it all about relationships. And it tackles relationships of all kinds.

Ellen Page (Juno) is absolutely fantastic as the main character who is 16-years old and pregnant. If she doesn't get an Oscar nomination for her performance, she was robbed.

Actually the entire cast does a great job with their respective roles. Jennifer Garner (Vanessa Loring) and Jason Bateman (Mark Loring) as the adopting married couple was quite an interesting commentary on marriage and parenting. Michael Cera (Bleeker) as the "boyfriend" and biological father of the child is extraordinary (plus he plays a runner in the movie so that helps)!

J.K. Simmons and Allison Janney, who play the role as Juno's parents, give a phenomenal effort as kind, loving and fun caretakers of their daughter.

As you can clearly tell, I believe this is one of the best acted movies I have ever seen. Just flat out great.

The clever writing was just as good. Just a couple of samplings that were personal favorites of mine:

Vanessa Loring - Your parents are probably wondering where you are.
Juno - Nah... I mean, I'm already pregnant, so what other kind of shenanigans could I get into?
----
Juno - Yeah, I'm a legend. You know, they call me the cautionary whale.
----
Juno - Can't we just like kick this old school. You know, like I stick the baby in a basket, send it your way, like Moses and the reeds?

So, this is a move I would classify as, "brilliant, thoughtful, creative and ... well, just go see it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home