Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Monday, May 26, 2008

BAYSHORE, POST-RACE

If a picture is a worth a 1,000 words, then running a marathon – especially your first one – will leave you speechless. There aren’t enough words in the dictionary to truly describe what the experience of a marathon is like.

I have been a marathoner for just over 48 hours and I still can’t completely grasped everything that I went through on Saturday morning in Traverse City, Mich. None the less, I will give it my best effort.

* It is, without a doubt, the hardest physical thing I have ever done. And, for that matter, will probably ever do.

* I feel very blessed to have been able to accomplish it. There are people who want to run one but can’t and somehow I was blessed to be able to do it. I am very grateful for the ability!

* The satisfaction of crossing that finishing line is beyond words. To overcome 26.2 miles after all those early morning training runs and other sacrifices is quite surreal and humbling all the same.

* All the experts who write those books were right about running your first marathon, finishing should be the #1 priority. My time of 3:48:44 is certainly nothing to brag about but I learned so much about running that distance that is really was more important to finish than anything else during your first attempt.

* It is such a mental challenge. So much more mental then I ever imaged! Yet, another thing I learned.

* I was so happy to share in the experience with Dan, Laura, Naomi, Jackie and Matt. Sharing something like that in community is the way each of us our wired.

* I am looking forward to running another one, and another one after that and …

3 Comments:

  • Stephen,

    It was great cheering you on, and being able to share in this wonderful experience with you. I'm sure we will have much to talk about after I finish my first one in Oct., which maybe will be your second one!? Anyway, congratulations!

    By Blogger Laura, at 7:59 PM  

  • congrats! i am so proud of you!

    By Blogger Very Sleepy Girl, at 7:35 AM  

  • For your inaugural marathon, a 3:48 is a pretty decent time, actually. Well done!

    By Blogger Garou, at 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home