Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Saturday, September 20, 2008

BLAME, RESPONSIBILITY, ACCOUNTABILITY

Ever since creation it has been spat through out humanity. It only took three chapters into the Bible for it to become evident.

Blame!

First, Eve blamed the serpent for tempting her with the apple then Adam blamed Eve for giving him the apple. How about a little responsibility you two? Funny how things haven't really changed much over the past several thousand years.

This past weekend when the U.S. economy continued to show its flaws and cracks, what did the two Presidential candidates do? Blame one another. Or at least blame their opponent respective political parties.

There was no responsibility, no plan, no accountability by either one of them. Instead of offering up hope, they fired away at each like a budding police cadet at the academy firing range. Here's a sampling of a few quotes by each:

Obama -- "This is a guy (McCain) who's spent nearly three decades in Washington. After spending the entire campaign saying I haven't been in Washington long enough, he apparently now is willing to assign me responsibility for all of Washington's failings."

"[McCain] wants to run health care like they’ve been running Wall Street,” Obama said earlier at a Daytona, Fla., campaign stop. “Well, senator, I know some folks on Main Street who aren’t going to think that’s a good idea.”

McCain -- "The crisis on Wall Street started in the Washington culture of lobbying and influence peddling, and [Obama] was square in the middle of it."

"My opponent's only solutions are talk and taxes. I will reform Wall Street and fix Washington. I have taken on tougher guys than this before."

These two can take a page from Ed Hochuli's book on being accountable and responsible. Here's a guy who blows a fairly big call in the San Diego/Denver NFL game last Sunday. He made a mistake and admitted it. He didn't blame anyone else. He just stood up and took responsibility for his mistake. Here's his statement:

"I'm getting hundreds of e-mails -- hate mail -- but I'm responding to it all. People deserve a response. You can rest assured that nothing anyone can say can make me feel worse than I already feel about my mistake on the fumble play. You have no idea … Affecting the outcome of a game is a devastating feeling. Officials strive for perfection -- I failed miserably. Although it does no good to say it, I am very, very sorry."

OK, I understand that there is a huge difference between the NFL and the U.S. economy. I'm not blind to that. However why is that an NFL referee has the most shining example of being responsible and accountable for mistakes? He didn't blame anyone. He sucked it up and took his lumps.

Maybe Ed Houchuli should be running for his U.S. President.

1 Comments:

  • My personal opinion-- politicians, on all sides of the isle, are horrible at admitting that they are wrong and have screwed up. Personal responsibility and accountability are shunned like the plague in Washington DC. Nobody-- especially politicians, like to be seen as being weak.

    By Blogger Jen, at 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home