Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Friday, January 26, 2007

FREAKONOMICS

" ... if morality represents and ideal world, then economics represents the actual world." (pg. 206)

I love this book. This book is easily one of the best books I have ever read.

Every now and again you run across and CD you can't stop listening to or activity you just have to do or you'll find yourself in the fetal position if you don't. I could not stop reading Freakonomics. Malcolm Gladwell was right, I was "dazzled" by this read.

My parents bought this book for me when I was in California but I just never took the time to pick it up and read it. In taking less than a week to read it, I'm trying to figure out what I was waiting for.

The books looks at these odd correlations and finds a way to relate them. Here's a few examples:

- Real Estate Agents and the KKK
- Crime Rates and Aboration
- Children names and their likelihood for success

Which is more dangerous, a gun or a swimming pool? What do schoolteachers and sumo wrestlers have in common? Why do drug dealers still live with their moms? How much do parents really matter? What kind of impact did Roe v. Wade have on violent crime?

This book is about questions and finding more questions. So it was a perfect read for me. The author isn't so much interested in finding a concrete answer to everything but making your think about why he feels the way he does. You may agree or disagree, it doesn't matter as long as you immerse yourself in the process.

If you like looking at a variety of studies and then being shocked by their findings, this is a must read for you. There are a fair amount of facts and figures but the way it is presented is stunning and genius.

It's an absolutely brilliant read. A few months back a newer, updated version was released so be sure to pick up that version instead of the one released at the end of 2005.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home