Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

INDIA - CULTURAL STUFF

This idea of doing things because it is culturally expected/accepted has really been turning in my brain since returning (well, that thought has been in my brain from the first day there). I still don't know how to totally describe my thoughts but I did type out an e-mail to a friend of mine that seems to capture some of my thoughts.

-------------------------

This could be a tough thing to un-pack because I am still trying to un-pack in fully. So let me see where I can go with this ...

... OK, in every culture in this world there are things that are just socially acceptable and even socially expected. For example, let women go first (or at least we should), patiently wait our turn in a given line, cover your mouth when you sneeze, etc., etc.

There were things done or things the Indian people wanted us to do regardless of consequences. There are two things that I really took issue with that were culturally correct for people in India.

1) Trash -- all over the place there were just large amounts of litter and garbage everywhere. All Indian people I saw just threw it on the ground because it is "culturally acceptable" and no one would be upset/angry over it. However, I am sure that the God I serve doesn't like the way His earth is being treated when people do that. I might have saw three trash cans in my time over there and not one person cared if I tossed a piece of garbage (no matter how big or small) in any street. It was kind of frustrating. I'm not some huge "green" person but I do know that taking care of the environment is a big thing and God has entrusted us with that.

2) Stewardship -- this is an issue I am totally wrestling with. The people in India would not (and I mean would not) stop feeding us during a meal. It was to the point of gluttony. Seriously, I was 100% full in my stomach but it was culturally excepted to eat at least three plates full of food. I wasn't hungry but you want me to eat, why? Please go feed someone who needs the food. There are lots of hungry people all around so please feed them not me. You have the food so use it more wisely. Don't get me wrong I totally appreciate the generosity and hospitably but I don't need more. But yet they take offense to me stopping at one or two plates of food. Doesn't make sense.

Now, with that being said, I think about the gifts I give at Christmas. Does my friend or family member need another "toy" to play with? I could use my resources much better than giving more to a person who already has plenty.

OK ... that's enough rambling for this e-mail and all of it my make no sense. If it doesn't make sense, it is probably because I am still trying to make sense of this crazy situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home