Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

MONEY DRAIN

There are just things in life that just "take away" our money more simply then others. A pack of gum or a magazine while waiting at the check-out counter inside the store or bag of pretzel along a rest stop during a road trip. Whatever the case maybe, there is now a study of the top 10 things that are "Money Drains" --

1. Coffee
2. Cigarettes
3. Alcohol
4. Bottled water from convenience stores
5. Manicures
6. Car washes
7. Weekday lunches out
8. Vending machines snacks
9. Interest charges on credit card bills
10. Unused memberships

At one point in my life I definitely contributed to the coffee drain until I wised up almost a year into my habit and started brewing my cup 'o joe at home. Trust me, it saved a lot of cash! According to the National Coffee Association, the average price for brewed coffee is $1.38. There are roughly 260 weekdays per year, so buying one coffee every weekday morning costs almost $360 per year ... ummm ... that's almost a months rent for me!

The whole bottled water thing is tough for me. Drinking out of the tap makes me somewhat ill so I buy a pack of 24 bottles once every two weeks for about $5. Not too bad considering that 20 oz. bottle from the convenience store is about $1. I continue to contend the smartest person ever is the one who put water in a bottle and told people to buy it. After all water is free.

Oh, lastly, I highly recommend packing your lunch for work. It saves massive amounts of money!

1 Comments:

  • you would like the thoughts at crown.org

    Here in india where thoughts are in rupies, and 40= $1 you think differently, we pay 40rs to get across town by taxi and we pay our maid 1000 rs a month

    Your perspective changes when you count everything by cents instead of dollars. Would you pay 100 or 300 for a cup of coffee?

    By Blogger Ryan, at 2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home