Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

ELECTION 2008

I have been a very strong supporter of the Republican party for as long as I can remember. I vividly remembering wearing a suit and tie to school during election day for the 1996 President when Bill Clinton easily beat Bob Dole. (I also remember dressing up as Bob Dole during that Halloween season.)

Remember the 2000 Presidential election when we didn't have a winner until every hanging chad was counted in Florida? OR in 2004 when George Bush narrowly beat John Kerry? All those years I was whole heartedly cheering on the GOP.

This year I am having trouble mustering support for John McCain. I'd much rather support Mike Huckabee but his campaign is as done as a fat kid in dodgeball. Now, if McCain and Huckabee got together and ran for the White House then I could get excited for the Republican party this election year.

In 2008 I have been absolutely fasinated with Barack Obama. I hope he beats Hillary Clinton soundly the rest of the way and is the clear pick for the Democratic nomination. The thing about Obama that I like more than anything else is his quiet confidence. At least to me he doesn't come across as cocky or arrogant but rather a strong leader who is easy to follow.

I look at Obama and say, "here's a guy who can unify this nation during a time that hasn't experienced this type of division in my lifetime." Does his stance on the war and abortion bother me? Sure it does. In fact, it bothers me a lot. Yet I think this guy can do something to improve America in a variety of aspects.

Maybe I am crazy, and what not, but I see this person as a guy I could be proud to support regardless of my leanings toward a Republican candidate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home