Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Thursday, April 17, 2008

QUESTIONS PT. 1

(Since finishing Donald Millers first book, I have been really thinking about some of the thoughts and ideas he presented. So, let's journey with some of those questions)

Is Sunday church like a coaches pep talk before the game?

This might be the best description of a Sunday sermon I have ever heard of. Granted I am big into the sports realm but I think the analogy between a pregame pep talk and Sunday sermon is dead on.

When I used to play organized sports the last thing on my mind near the end of the competition was what the coach said right before we left the locker room. In the same way, the last thing I seemingly think about when confronted when an opportunity to advance God's Kingdom is what the Sunday sermon was about. Or what action steps can I tie-in with what the preacher talked about when posed in a real life situation.

You know, many people that go to church are just spiritually bulimic. They gorge like crazy on the message or talk on Sunday morning but just vomit it up the remainder of the day and/or week. Then go back the next Sunday and do the same OR get angry when the "menu" (i.e. message) isn't what they like.

It's makes you stop and wonder how "church" would be different if there wasn't a Sunday talk. What would that look like? Might be kind of cool and awkward all the same. Might even be worth trying sometime.

2 Comments:

  • I would step back further. Remember high school pep rallys? That is what I think sunday mornings are: 300 people all chearing the afternoon before a big game where 20 people go out an play.

    Look at this church... it has some of what you are thinking?
    http://www.amsterdam50.nl

    I like where you are leading, what if there was a group of people gathered not for the sunday morning but for the rest of the week. Small clusters: Meeting to do projects. Meeting to study the Bible. Meeting to have fun. Meeting to rest. Could the big event be held less often, once a week, once a month, once a year? Or is there real value to the single gathering? Is the single gathering good for a modern lifestyle, but with the comming post modern world other things need focus. Are we moving from a television world to a twitter world?

    By Blogger Ryan, at 2:03 AM  

  • I should really read this book again. It's been long enough!

    By Blogger Very Sleepy Girl, at 7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home