Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Thursday, January 15, 2009

WOMEN IN CHURCH LEADERSHIP

Onto a soapbox …

Not so long ago I came across this YouTube clip of Mark Driscoll (Video) and was fairly flabbergasted by it. It’s nine minutes and it’s very, well, head scratching. Only men (soldiers as Driscoll says) can plant a church … ummm… what?

That video clip was shown at a conference. One prominent church leader was there and proclaimed the following, “After that video I would like to acknowledge that there are women in this room and they have spiritual gifts.” Bill Hybels, founding and senior pastor at Willowcreek, said that.

Driscoll and Hybels have very different views on women in the church. How they should/can lead. How women are “allowed” to present themselves to the congregation, etc., etc.

I bring this up because I came across this article (article) this morning about women in the teaching and preaching role within the local church. This is quite the hot button issue among evangelicals. It’s kind of a fun topic to break down and discuss as well. Unfortunately, the topic can get people a bit over heated say we shall.

Anyway, I just wanted to a make a stand here by say that “truth is truth whether it comes from a man or woman.” If you listening to some one preach or teach does it matter what their gender is? Really?!? So to all women in church ministry (whatever that necessarily means) you have gifts use them. If you have the gift to lead then lead. Do it well. Do it with confidence. Do it to advance the Kingdom of God.

There are numerous reasons why I believe women can and should lead in the church. Do you have to dig a little deeper into the Bible to find where and how women lead? Sure you do but it’s there. Trust me.

Off the soapbox …

1 Comments:

  • I know a certain pastor at my church who would appreciate your comment. And I also know a few "past" members of our church who would not. When she took post, they left. What a shame!!!

    By Blogger Danielle, at 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home