Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Thursday, July 09, 2009

THE SOLOIST

So I was about three months late in seeing “The Soloist” but the movie that I saw on Friday evening was the same one that debut on silver screens everywhere on April 24. Besides, I only paid $3 to see it!

My post movie analyses has been up and down. I didn’t really love it like I hoped I would but on the flip side it wasn’t a big letdown either. It was pretty much an average to above average movie that has its moments of greatness in telling Nathanial Eades story of homelessness and schizophrenia. While Eades personal journey is the “main” storyline, the movie tried to tell too many other story lines and probably should have focused on just one (maybe two) instead of the three different stories it was trying to tell. It’s almost as if the movie tried to hard when it didn’t have to.

If there is one thing that I really have got to pick on is the way the film makers made skid row look. OK, granted this is not a place to find yourself if you are lost or something but the film makers made this place out to be much worse than it is (or at least what I have experienced). If you’ve seen this movie and haven’t been on skid row, I promise you it is not as bad as you saw. It’s not playground but it’s not what the film makers portrayed it to be.

This is not a bad movie by any stretch. There are certainly much worse flicks but it could have been better since Eades’ story is so unique and beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home