Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Friday, October 13, 2006

BRIAN MCLAREN (PART II)

The second installment of Brian McLaren's visit to Goshen College was, at least for me, much more exciting and thought provoking then the first. Plus I got to interact with him for a little while after the event so that was cool as well.

On Thursday evening he spoke almost the entire time about forming/making disciples and not just converts to a christian religion. The topic was "Spirtual Formation in the Emerging Culture" so it was no surprise that he unpacked Matthew 28:16-20 during the 90-minute event.

Whenever I got to an event where I am totally engrossed with what the speaker has to say, I struggle between taking notes and trying to soak it all at the same time. None the less, I was able to jot down a few key points:

- He spoke about how the term Christian has become more of a religion and gave the quote, "reaching Christians for Christ, beginning with myself."

- While in conversation with a non-Christian during a camping trip with his family one of McLaren's son friends made this quote, "I want to learn the ways of Christ and not to be a Christian." Because to him Christianity was about being a religion. McLaren has decided that spiritual formation has to do with loving, living, learning and being like Jesus.

- McLaren quote: "With all the information and knowledge at our finger tips, how can people be show intellectually smart but morally bad." ... "There is no shortage of 'Christian Info' but why is something so wrong."

- If the church can't help people transform to Christ, what is the purpose?

Those were some of the key notes that I wrote down. Certainly there was a lot more said and some really good stories that were told. If you are interested in thinking, read some of his books.
This guy just has something really amazing going. He is one of the smartest people I have ever met and quite possibly one of the most humble and grace-filled people around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home