Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Thursday, May 03, 2007

NORAH JONES, CONCERT

From the moment I ordered the tickets in early February, I had May 1st circled on my calendar with a great deal of excitement. In my humble (and bias) opinion she is the best female singer of my generation.

So let me think were to start with this post …

… the words: amazing, phenomenal, great, awesome and beautiful immediately come to mind.

This is my best shot at remembering the set list and I believe it’s fairly accurate:

Come Away with Me
Those Sweet Words
Thinking About You
Be My Somebody
Rosie's Lullaby
Not My Friend
I've Got to See You Again
Sunrise
Sinkin' Soon
Painter Song
My Dear Country
Little Room
Humble Me
I'm Gonna Get You Yet (Dixie Cups cover)
Broken
Until the End
Creepin' In
Hands on the Wheel (Willie Nelson cover)

ENCORE
Not Too Late
Don't Know Why
The Long Way Home (Tom Waits cover)

To start with “Come Away with Me” was great. I’d be willing to bet the smile on my face had to resemble what a clown’s would look like. You know, kind of silly but happy all the same. Plus she started the concert playing the guitar and not the piano so that was cool to watch her play a new instrument (she didn’t play anything except for the piano last time I saw her).

You know it is tough to start with one of your biggest hits and continue on with songs from there but everything sounded, at worst, good and most everything was great. She played everything that I wanted to hear and just was awesome through out. (Well, I wish she would have played the “Nearness of You” from her first album but I’m certainly not complaining).

Five Favorite Moments --

1) When she played “Come Away with Me” … It really was that awesome!

2) She’s not really a fan of George Bush at all so she wrote two songs on her current album that are respectfully critical of him – “Sinkin’ Soon” and “My Dear Country.” She played both of them at the show and someone near where we were sitting, someone shouted “Go Hillary” during one of the songs. Rather funny yet scary all the same!

3) “Don’t Know Why” during the encore … She could have played that all night and I would have been satisfied.

4) “Humble Me” … An absolutely great song on so many levels!

5) “Not My Friend … Probably my favorite song on the new album that sounded about as perfect as possible

SO, I was talking with a friend of mine who lives in California on Wednesday night and I have now described myself as – “the biggest male Norah Jones fan in Indiana.” And proud of it gosh dang it – HA!

I am already looking forward to the next show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home