Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Friday, July 31, 2009

ONE YEAR AGO ...

One Year. 12 months. 52 Weeks. 365 Days.

That’s how long I have called Los Angeles home. I very much remember the feeling of parking my vehicle at my friends apartment on July 31, 2008 not knowing what in the world I have gotten myself into. I still don’t necessarily know what I have gotten myself into and it boggles my mind every now and then when I drive by a sign on the freeway that says something like “Dodger Stadium” or “Santa Monica” next exit.

The other day I found this blog posting about L.A. and found it to be very insightful and some what accurate – here. The author has a money quotes about L.A. and what I have “gotten myself into” a year ago:

L.A. is the apocalypse: it's you and a bunch of parking lots. No one's going to save you; no one's looking out for you. It's the only city I know where that's the explicit premise of living there – that's the deal you make when you move to L.A. The city, ironically, is emotionally authentic.

The problem with this statement is that it is both true and sad all the same. There in lies “the rub” when you live in L.A. There probably isn’t a city in the U.S. that doesn’t care about you even though you care it more than L.A. You my may bleed away your heart and give every ounce of energy you have and get nothing in return but you know what, it is worth the energy. I wouldn't trade this place for anywhere else in the world right now because this place really matters even if it beats you down. It matters to me. It matters to my friends. And most importantly it matters to God and His Kingdom.

To often people have “given-up” on this city. Not me. Not now. I have gotten myself into something really beautiful and heart-retching all the same. This city needs people to care for it. To look out for it. And for right now, why not me?

One year and counting …

2 Comments:

  • Nice

    By Blogger Very Sleepy Girl, at 2:41 PM  

  • I don't know. I guess you have to experience it to understand. Not having ever been there, the only attraction to me would be the proximity to the ocean.

    By Blogger Dawn Lovitt, at 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home