Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Friday, August 14, 2009

PETA, MICHAEL VICK & THE CHURCH

Last night I just turned on Sportscenter to hear the following statement from PETA:

“PETA and millions of decent football fans around the world are disappointed that the Philadelphia Eagles have chosen to sign a man who hanged dogs from trees, electrocuted them with jumper cables, held them underwater until they drowned in his swimming pool, and even threw his own family dogs into the fighting pit to be torn to shreds while he laughed. What sort of message does this send to young fans who care about animals and don't want to see them be harmed?

“PETA certainly hopes that Vick has learned his lesson and feels truly remorseful for his crimes—but since he's given no public indication that that's the case, only time will tell. At this point, all Eagles fans can do is cross their fingers and hope that they won't ever have to explain to their sons and daughters what a "rape rack" is and why their favorite player was using one, as Falcons fans once had to.”

First off, I probably qualify as a “decent football fan” and I’m not disappointed in the Eagles. In fact, I actually applaud them. I don’t get how people can be so unforgiving was my first thought then no less then a moment later, I realized how many Christians do the same thing. What if PETA released a statement that read something along these lines:

“We understand that Michael Vick made a mistake. But that was in the past. We want to help him move forward and help him create a better future.”

Sounds a lot more helpful, hopeful and non-condemning doesn’t it? You could even say it makes a lot more sense. This incident once again reminded me how each of us wants to be the judge and jury. I remember thinking that if my favorite NFL team (the Miami Dolphins) signed him how upset I’d be. But now that he has signed with a team I’m genuinely glad that he is getting a second chance and really wish my team would have taken the risk and signed him (although from a team personnel decision, I’m not sure it would have made sense).

Michael Vick made a dumb decision years ago. Who among us hasn’t? We all want what Michael Vick has been given – a second chance. We don’t need all the extra condemnation that could come with that second chance. This whole idea of wishing for the best among us is certainly not easy but to continually think as a pessimist helps no one. For no other reason just embrace the guy and give him a chance just because he deserves forgiveness as much as you. See if his character has change. It won’t hurt you. I promise.

Furthermore, this attacking method of reaction to the situation helps NO ONE. In fact, it really breeds a sentiment of discontent within your own soul. Same as those in the church who preach something of the “Hell Fire and Brimstone” theology. Positive thinking is still possible. Forgiveness and grace isn’t a foreign concept. A shift won’t happen over night mind you but, can we make a conscience effort to start thinking and acting this way, please?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home