Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Monday, October 16, 2006

BLUE LIKE JAZZ REVISITED

I took some time recently and went back through some of the portions of Blue Like Jazz that I highlighted. I found that I highlighted most of my reading in the back of the book under the "Love" and "Worship" chapters.

I was, more than anything else, trying to see what kind of scripture parallel I could find between some of my highlighted and the Bible. (Before someone out there in "blog land" tries to write something like, I think Blue Like Jazz is the bible -- not true! I'm a thinker so let me think.)

Here we go:

Pg. 204 – I think we have two choices in the face of such big beauty: terror or awe. (II Cor. 4:18)

Pg. 205 – Too much of our time is spent trying to chart God on a grid, and too little is spent allowing our hearts to feel awe. (II Cor. 4:18)

Pg. 217 -- Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things. (II Cor. 4:18)

Pg. 215 – I had been raised to believe there were monsters under the bed, but I had peeked, in a moment of bravery, and found a wonderful world, a good world, better, in fact, then the one I had known. (II Cor. 4:18)

Clearly, for some reason I just kept getting stuck on the II Corinthians 4:18. These aren't all the passages in the book I highlighted but all four had a common theme so I went with it.

There really is a bigger and more amazing world out there to be seen, to be felt, to be experienced but how often to we not find it, so to speak, because we are afraid to look under the bed or rush things ahead of the pace God desires or let our own fear rule our courage?

I really love his "monsters under the bed" line. That's classic. We have monsters we are scared to look at: drinking addiction, weight problems, bitterness, suicide. What if we started looking at those "monsters" instead of ignoring them? What kind of things in our lives would start to change for the better?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home