Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Sunday, October 15, 2006

REMEMBER THE "BUSH PUSH"

Do you remember were you where one year ago today? I remember Oct. 15, 2005 very well.

My parents were in town for the USC-ND. ESPN GameDay was on the campus for the much-hyped match-up between the cross-country rivals. It was a picture perfect fall day in South Bend, IN. It set the stage for the greatest sporting event I have ever seen in-person and probably one of the best college football games ever played.

As I took my usual seat on the 47-yard line to take stats for the game, I remember thinking that I was about to witness something special. Although I never thought it would end up being “that special” when all was said and done. If Notre Dame was going to win the game they were going to have to score at least one non-offensive touchdown and when Tommy Z ran back that punt in the second quarter I knew it was going to be a ball game till end. As the second half unfolded and it looked as if USC was going to pull out the win with a Reggie Bush touchdown with about five minutes.

Yet some how the Notre Dame offense marched very productively down the field and with 2:04 left on the clock Brady Quinn reached the ball across the endzone to give the Irish a 31-28 lead. I absolutely could not believe it. I also remember thinking that there is way too much time on the clock.

On second down on USC ensuing drive I will never forget watching Trevor Laws sack Matt Leinart. It felt like I was watching a slow motion film unfold right in front of me. I have never heard Notre Dame Stadium so loud after that sack. Then the 4-and-9 conversation!! When Leinart audibled, I thought there was no way they were getting a first down. Then the 61-yard completion to Dwayne Jarrett, un-freakin-real!!

The whole chaos during the final four plays was un-real. The fans rushing the field when the clock incorrectly hit 0:00 was something interesting to watch. I remember Charlie Weis marching onto the field when time was put back on the clock and he said to the official, “I want a time-out to talk to you!”

Then the “Bush Push” happened. When the ND defense stopped Leinart during his first attempt I stood up in the press box and shouted out, “HE DIDN’T GET IN” (not really a professional move on my part). But he did get into the endzone and I was sick!

What a game. What an experience I will never forget … Do you remember were you where on Oct. 15, 2005?!?

2 Comments:

  • Well, I only remember because you said what was going on that day...yeah, I was there too...still don't think the outcome was correct...but I'll wait to see what this year holds!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:04 PM  

  • Speaking of years ago...Don't forget that two years ago this month 4 crazy girls walked into Neveah....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home