Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Thursday, August 18, 2005

DAIRY FROM THE BALLPARK #1

Ok, this will be the first of a five-part little "look back" at the moments that will be forever marked in my mind. These really aren't in any specific order but all are unforgettable. Enjoy ...

Oh, the joy of being the General Manager of a Minor League Baseball team. Most people think as a G.M. you sit back and make trades, pay the employees and let all of your employees do all the work. HA, I only wish that was the case! In fact this is very far from the case.

About three days before the start of the 2001 season for the Pulaski Rangers there were two players that needed to be picked up from the Roanoke Airport. The airport was about an hour from Pulaski. So being the G.M. I told one of the interns to pick them up and no problem, right? Well, I get a call around 7:30 p.m. from the intern to inform me that only one of the players was there.

I start frantically calling the Head Minor League individuals for the Texas Rangers because we are missing a player. So we finally tracked down our "lost player" around 9:30 p.m. and he was stuck at the Dallas airport. I remember thinking "well at least we found him." He was now on his way to Atlanta to catch his next flight. He gets to Atlanta around 10:45ish and he can't leave for Virginia because his flight is delayed because of lightning so he is just going to get a flight in the morning and stay the night in Atlanta. Ok, good stuff and off to bed and I am really tired!

Not so fast!! I get another phone call at 11:30 p.m. to inform me that his flight did take off from Atlanta and he is on his way to the Roanoke Airport. I just freakin' fell asleep and now I (Yes, Me!) have to wake-up and drive an hour to pick him up. Mind you, I have to be up and moving by 7 a.m. the next day!

Our "lost player's" flight finally gets to the Roanoke Airport at 2 a.m.!! So thankfully he is on the flight and he tells me that he is hungry! Great! - now I have to feed this guy! Well, say hello to the Waffle House! After he gets his food we finally get to Pulaski around 4:15 a.m. and I get like two hours of sleep!

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that being a General Manager is easy! ;-) ... Now this "lost player" name is C.J. Wilson. So far from that 2001 Pulaski Rangers team, he is the only player to make it to "the show" and play as a Major League player. Granted he hasn't pitched well but he has made it.

He really was a nice guy and an amazing pitcher to watch but why could his flight be on-time? ... "Everyday is a New Adventure"

2 Comments:

  • Looking for love in all the right blogs
    We wish we had the answer. What we do know is that dating consumes an inordinate amount of verbiage in the blogosphere.
    HELLO......I was searching around the search engine and here I am. So I feel like dropping you a line. Btw, I am into the debt collection tip stuff too. So
    without a doubt, I have a debt collection tip website too. Feel me to leave me a line if you have time. Cya later.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:32 PM  

  • Because see, Stephen, if his flight did come in on the right time, there wouldn't be a story to tell! Keepin' me lauging...laura

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home