Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Friday, August 19, 2005

DAIRY FROM THE BALLPARK #2

Ok, this will be the second of a five-part little "look back" at the moments that will be forever marked in my mind. These really aren't in any specific order but all are unforgettable.

This is probably the story I tell the most so this is either the most memorable or the one I laugh about the most. Hey, maybe a little bit of both.

Somewhere in the middle of my first year in the business I became the "I'll do anything intern." And in this capacity of wearing dozens of different hats on any given game night, I was the on-field M.C. for the promotions like the dizzy bat race, lawn mower race, etc., etc.

I will never forget this -- there were two outs with the visiting team batting and then out of no where I see this little, maybe 20 pound, dog loose in right field (yes the infamous right field pictured). I was against the dugout waiting to do the dizzy bat race with two little kids watching this dog run around the field for a few second and then realizing this, "Some one should get that dog off the field" (Pause) "Oh wait, that some one is me!"

So in all my intern glory I jog out to right field to get this dog so the game can continue. Ok, folks at this point in my life I am a slow, out-of-shape, overweight college student. I chased this stupid dog around right field, center field the warning track and everywhere in between for at least 5 minutes (probably longer)!!

Finally, I get within about 3 feet and the dog is facing the other direction. I think to myself "I finally got him" and since I am completing out-of-shape and out of breath this is the final chance to catch him. And by the way, none of the other staff bothered to join me in this journey of dog catching!! Anyway, I lunge for the dog from three feet but the dog sees me before I start my jump and thus darts off and I end up grabbing nothing but air and grass in my feeble attempt to capture the freakin dog!!

After laying in the grass for about 10 seconds with my head buried in my hands and along with about 1,000 fans laughing at me, I look up just in time to watch the dog leave the playing field. So out of breath and embarrassed I make my way back to do the dizzy bat race with the two little kids (who probably still laugh at me to this day!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home