Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Sunday, July 06, 2008

QUESTIONS PT. 4

(Since finishing Donald Millers first book, I have been really thinking about some of the thoughts and ideas he presented. So, let's journey with some of those questions - see Pt. 1, Pt. 2, Pt. 3)

What is the cereal in my life that I should be desiring? You know the basic needs of life. Not cars, money, worth but just the simple/basic things that truly sustain life.

I am reminded of an episode of the Cosby Show where Theo was talking to a food executive at this company who specializes in cereal and soup. The executive wanted to grow bigger and build more wealth by creating more "specialty" foods but Theo warned the executive that in times of economic struggle people just wanted "the basics" of life.

This is a somewhat haunting question for me because I am something a pack rat. I collect all kinds of stuff and even worse I buy things just to have them. What sense does that make? I have learned to become much more smart with my money but there is more than money that sustains a life worth living.

Granted there is nothing wrong with the pleasures of living. You know, things like baseball, reading, running and eating a cookie! However there seems to be something wrong with the glutony of those pleasures. Just because I have the most toys and the most pleasures doesn't mean anything really in the end. The person with the most pleasures doesn't win at the end of life. You know?

Simple things. What are mine to sustain a healthy God honoring life?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home