Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Saturday, August 20, 2005

DAIRY FROM THE BALLPARK #3

This is the third of a five-part little "look back" at the moments that will be forever marked in my mind. These really aren't in any specific order but all are unforgettable.

The moment that every fan dreams about during a rain delay was taking away by yours truly on a Monday night in the middle of June. If you have ever sat through a rain delay at the ballpark I'm sure you have wondered "it sure would be fun to get out on the field and slide across that tarp." After all it is the world's biggest slip n' slide!!

Monday home games with the Silver Hawks generally are a "little more interesting" so to speak back when we offered Dollar Beers to the patrons. I was already have a not so good day and when we had to roll out the tarp for a rain delay in the fourth inning, so the tarp pull didn't make things any better. And to make matter worse, there was like one stinkin' rain shower in all of South Bend that day and of course it was over the ballpark!

After rolling out the tarp I some how ended up being the only full-time staff member in the third base dugout to wait out the rain. Briefly after catching my breath I catch out of the corner of my eye three fans (1 guy, 2 girls) climb over the railing for their tarp slide. I am none to happy about these events!!

There was a part-time employee with me so I told him to grab the two girls and get them off the tarp. I was ticked off and went for the dude. This freakin' idiot is flopping around the tarp like a fish out of water so I grab him by the shirt and pull him up very angry-like. While pulling him up I hear this "rrrrip" from his shirt. Yes, I tore his shirt!

Some of this is a blur but as accurate as I remember ... He started screaming at me about how I ripped his shirt and I start jawing back that he was trespassing and was going to jail that night (I threw in a couple of "not so polite adjective"). He also preceded to tell me that he was a taxpayer and he helped build the stadium. I continue to tell him that he is going to jail and I think I was pointing my index about a half an inch away from his face. Rather angry stuff.

I finally get him back into the seating bowl area. He told me his shoes were two sections away and he needed them. I didn't care. As I am basically pushing this guy toward the first cop I can find. I think every fan is now booing me for pulling this idiot off the tarp. Oh well, he didn't deserve to be on the tarp.

This might have been the moment in my baseball life were I became "angry baseball employee" ... Really I think I'm a nice guy but I can't stand bull crap like that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home