Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Friday, October 28, 2005

SWITCHFOOT IN CHICAGO

"MUSIC BRINGS ALL OF US TOGETHER"
- Jon Foreman

Oh man, what an amazing evening! Not enough adjectives in the english dictionary to describe the concert. First here's the set list:

Lonely Nation
Ammunition
Dare You to Move
More than Fine
On Fire
Easier than love
This is your Life
Happy is a Yuppie Word
Gone
Politicians
24
Shadow Proves the Sunshine
Meant to Live

Encore:
Stars
We Are One Tonight

(Deep breath, this gets a little long ...)

Not one of their songs sounded bad. Not one! The Vic Theatre was the perfect, and I mean perfect, place to watch these guys! Granted I have never seen them before but it was tight, intimate, older place were maybe 2500 people were crammed into. The place had so much energy it was just flat out awesome.

The anticipation before they came felt like it took forever. But once I heard the first few cords of "Lonely Nation" I could just feel that I was in for a great evening. Jon Foreman's energy from start to finish was unlike anything I have ever seen in concert, ever!! It was a flat-out mesmerizing performance. That guy is an amazing lead singer. He sounded fantastic all night.

There were a few things that I have to touch on that just were jaw-dropping:

DARE YOU TO MOVE
Before the song, Foreman was said "This song is about moving forward." I wasn't really moving forward per say but I was screaming out the whole song at the top of my lungs and couldn't hear myself. Somewhere around this point in the concert I couldn't hear from my right ear. Yet it was strange because I didn't notice it all the time til basically the concert was over.

EASIER THAN LOVE
Perhaps my favorite song on the "Nothing is Sound" album. Once again just screaming at the tops of my lungs with the entire audience. They did not disappoint.

THIS IS YOUR LIFE
At a few points during the song Foreman picks up his guitar flips it toward his mouth and just starting screaming into the thing. Absolutely Amazing! Just woah!

HAPPY IS A YUPPIE WORD
Ok, not really a favorite of mine but during the bridge portion of this song, Foreman just screams "Nothing is Sound" at least 5 times into the microphone. Just flippin' stunning!

SHADOW PROVES THE SUNSHINE
Maybe, for me, the highlight of the entire concert. First Foreman introduces Sean and Sara Watkins from Nickelcreek and I was flipping out because I love their music and they accompanied the band during the song. Then Foreman talks about how they played this song first in South Africa and says, "While I was over there, it was probably the closest to God I have ever been." Wow!! Then the song just was jaw dropping and I just got chills. I mean, every hair on my arm, just chills! I can't even describe it!

MEANT TO LIVE
They were playing some guitar cords for about 30 seconds and I couldn't figure out what song they were about to play. THEN, everything went crazy! Enough said.

WE ARE ONE TONIGHT
After playing "Stars" I wasn't sure they would play another encore song. But this really was the perfect song to end the evening with. Everyone in the crowd singing and arms raised. They left me wanting more ...

Ok, did it sound like it was awesome?!? I go to about 3-4 concerts a year and I have never, ever seen anything better. Never. Granted I have yet to see U2 or Coldplay but that setting, the crowd, the bands energy will be tough to match.

I will never forget this night!! (Thanks for reading til the end!)

The above picture is during "Shadow Proves the Sunshine" with Jon Foreman (left) and Sara Watkins from Nickelcreek playing the violin.




The Crazy Crew (and fellow bloggers): Jon Keim, Me, Angela Keim, Corey Mann (Left to Right)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home