Messing with My Mind Daily ...

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

THREE YEARS IN SOUTH BEND


So today marks the three year anniversary of the day I packed up my stuff and moved to South Bend, IN from Lynchburg, VA. The fact that I am writing that statement of "three years" still amazes me.

Just about everyday I pass by a sign that still surprises me - "Indiana Toll Road" - now road signs are nothing special but the fact that it has "Indiana" on there is still a surprise somedays. There are times when I am in my apartment or just driving around town and I can't believe that I live in this state. I remember after just a few months that I wanted to be on the first plane/train/car out of town!

I will never forget the day I moved. As a checked into the hotel before moving my belongings into my apartment the next day, I thought South Bend was on Central Time and the clerk behind the desk then told me how crazy Indiana time zones are. I've gotten used to the time thing. I may never get used to the weather.

The second week I lived here I was driving into work and it was two degrees outside! TWO FREAKIN DEGREES! It's not the cold temperatures but the wind that gets you. I mean anybody can put on numerous layers of clothes but the wind just goes right through you.

There are really three things that are in South Bend that you can not get anywhere else. And in no specific order - Notre Dame, Granger Community Church and friends you won't find anywhere else. I love my church and the relationships I have formed there plus I get to watch any Irish sporting event for free. I can't leave any of that - yet.

How much long will I be here? Well, only the Good Lord knows that but I know that I don't want to be any place else right now even if it's freezing cold outside and this state has no idea what time it is.

3 Comments:

  • As one of your friends, I must say, this is one of the greatest compliments you have ever given me (since I know how much you hate the weather here!)

    All of us feel the same way about you...

    By Blogger Jeanna, at 11:05 AM  

  • Yeah what Jeanna said:). We're glad you're still around. I guess I'm one of those wierd Hoosiers that like snow!....it snowed finally:)
    -Erin

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:18 AM  

  • Hopefully, you'll be around for a long time. I love you like a brother Stephen! (I hate snow too)

    By Blogger Jonathan Anderstrom, at 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home